Thursday, March 12, 2009

Girl zombies, hotter than evs...

Girrrrrl zombie's night out.

I'd been thinking of zombies as being a semi-equal opportunity horror-fest, although probably lower on female participation than male. Some of that assumption reflects my bias. Since zombies-in-general look like hell on a cracker, I thought most females would recoil at the necessary slob-out of zombiedom. That's what I believed until I dipped into the Internet. Doing a Google on the phrase, "girl zombies" brought up a wealth of female longing and participation. Some of this is attributable to the female celebrity scriptwriter Diablo Cody's likely production of Breathers: A Zombie's Lament. Then, through www.evilontwolegs.com, I discovered that at one horrorific get-together, being a female zombie was the most popular costume choice, hands down.

Given the moldy look of most female zombies (except for Japanese zombies, see yesterday's post): flesh falling off, fucked-up hair, blood-drool on the chin, and hideous clothes, my knee-jerk reaction had been, Not in a million years. But actually, this is exactly what's attractive to many young women today, especially those who feel oppressed by having to shave above the knee, wearing a faceful of makeup, and the whole blow dryer thing.

Along my bumpy path of zombie research, I came upon the promising post: Zombies Ate My Brain from the blog Tales of An Ordinary Girl, which I highly recommend, in which the poster wakes up from a nap to overhear a conversation between her husband and sister-in-law. As she listens, it becomes clear that her sis-in-law believes zombies are real and is fretting about them. Her husband is far more patient than I would be, and points out that basing your assumptions on Dawn of the Dead doesn't make you the brightest bulb in the tanning bed. But the poster points out that she herself grew up in a Pentacostal household and believed in all manner of spirits and witches.

It got me to remembering a point I made early on in this blog. I wrote that down the road, Evangelicals would come to love them some zombies. If they were hot for rights of the unborn, they'd be maniacal about full-citizenship for the undead.

Seemed like a winner to me.

I wonder why no one ever commented.

No comments: