Friday, February 6, 2009

Mysteries....

A new anthology from The Sun

Even if I didn't have a piece in this, I'd buy it because I know what kind of stuff The Sun publishes. Their contributors write pieces that gallop, trot, or stroll without popular niceties or literary self-consciousness. If there's a unifying style, it comes in the form of actual speech, spoken in the untidy middle of life itself. This makes for startling admissions, blurted secrets, and the relief of recognition.

I haven't read this anthology yet. Hell, I haven't even read my own piece since I published it. I have to give The Sun a lot of credit for using this title: The Mysterious Life of the Heart. Normally, a title like that would send me running for the nearest graphic novel, just to get the taste out of my mouth. The title alone would clue me into the contents: chickish lit, sad break-up stories, and lotsa angst all around. But given that it's The Sun, all bets are off about what's inside. I feel almost tingly about getting my copy, knowing I'll come away with some real answers about the heart and its mysteries. Because what else is there beyond our longings, passions, and loves and what they weave together? Not much.

In some way, every story is a love story.

No comments: