Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cool n' breezy...

A day spent under the covers, one eye cocked towards Court TV, 48 Hours, CSI, and American Justice. This morning I woke with a fierce sinus headache and ran through my cure-alls before saying uncle and flopping back into bed. Then I remembered the never-fail: Coke and BC Powders. For me it's the equivalent of shooting up; I do my very best to avoid white sugar. I'm also the product of my Oklahoma high school where nearly every teacher had on their desk a glass of Co'Cola (as it was known) in which a hunk of meat or a single tooth was suspended . Every so often my math, biology, or history teacher would lift out the tooth or meat and display the rotted results.

"See that," my teacher would crow. "Now just imagine what that Co'Cola is doing to your insides."

Sitting in our thick guilty silence, we'd stare at the blackened lump dangling before us knowing our innards probably looked just like it. However, the sum total of coke-marinated meat and teeth never put us off Coca Cola, nor did the school ever remove the Coke machines.

So my husband schlepped out, got me a real all-fructose Coke, and joined me in watching pure crap TV. He'd been working hard all day, so he slumped in front of a true-crime murder-for-hire show with a happy sigh.
"Nothing like watching garbage to clean out your head," he noted.
"Sudses it right out," I agreed.
"Makes it breezy in there," my husband said, " and minty-fresh."
We sat together contentedly and minty-fresh. I sipped my Coke and licked up a BC Powder, feeling my headache slide away like a bad dream.

No comments: