Wednesday, April 2, 2008

On the seacoast of bohemia....

Saw Erykah Badu and her kid last week at Albertson's. She was paying for groceries at the automatic check-out stand, while showing her son how to scan stuff. At first I didn't recognize her. I was gawking only because the child was so exquisitely beautiful, like a pale brown Caravaggio street urchin, complete with an angel's face and crowned with dull gold curls. Then I glanced over at her, admiring the sleek shape of her skull wrapped in a plain cotton scarf, and her lovely narrow face.

Like me, her clothes weren't look-worthy, she wore no make-up, and even more like me, she was just going about her day. For some odd reason, spying on Erykah Bahu's ordinary few minutes got me thinking about what I do.

I trained for many years to be a New York-style gallery painter. Then, for about seven more years, I worked as an independent artist, occasionally living in my studio and chilling yogurt on the window sill, when I couldn't afford either an apartment or a refrigerator. Then two seminal events, a head-on car collision and a reception at Jack's Gallery in NY, eventually shoved me into the work-a-daddy world. The car crash busted up any notions of my invincibility, while the gallery reception wiped-out my illusions of happy anonymity.

A few years ago, I phoned my old studio partner, a talented and brilliant man, one whom I have always loved without reservation.

In the middle of our chitchat, he asked abruptly, "So how does it feel to be a corporate sell-out?"

I was shocked into silence before mumbling some truism about how I designed and wrote stuff for broadcast rather than what I'd done for a narrowcast world. He listened politely and we both hung up fast: two old friends who had skidded dangerously close to our first quarrel. But my sense of hurt, of being unfairly misjudged lingered for a long, long time.

Finally I remembered something. Selling-out is one of the cherished myths shared by most residents on the seacoast of bohemia--the idea that all you need to do is lay down your brushes and show up in the IBM lobby as the hipster you are, to be rewarded with a $200K job. As an ex-hipster artist who transferred into the corporate world, I didn't disabuse my old friend. With rare exception, the last thing a corporation wants is an artist: sell-out or not. My slide into big bad business--accompanied by mocking haw-haws all the way--was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Now, a free-lancer, my clients are still large corporations, for whom I write all sorts of things: broadcast scripts, advertising, brochures, campaigns, press-releases, just name it. Am I a fine-arts whore? A fallen angel? Some poor slob who couldn't hack it in the art world? I've never once felt that way. What I feel like is a good craftsman, up to my ankles in fresh wood shavings.

At night I write my own fiction, but it doesn't seem any more worthy than my daytime gigs. It's just different. For me, writing advertising is trickier than writing a sonnet. Somehow I have to connect with a mega-audience whose only connection to me is a shared-humanity. And I have to do it in the very first sentence. Thanks to my years in art, I've learned some things about capturing audience attention, creating a sense of belief, and triggering imaginative thought. It's served me well.

To my way of thinking, I never sold out. I just got curious about the world beyond bohemia. I kept wondering what people actually did in those skyscrapers and shining glass buildings. And so I went adventuring.

Not everyone who wanders is lost.

1 comment:

Mike E. said...

Dear Ashley,

yes, Yes, YES!

And I think that your ability to write oh so well (connecting through "shared humanity" and "capturing audience attention, creating a sense of belief, and triggering imaginative thought") springs from the same source as your ability to transcend that "sell-out vs. artiste" crapola. Namely, you see and know yourself more clearly for who you really are.

I wish your old studio partner the same level of clarity and hope he can take it when it comes his way.

Thanks for your writing, Ashley. You regularly (as ever) bowl me over (in a great way, really) with that clarity.

Yours-in-getting-clobbered-with-a-ton-of-bricks-and-enjoying-it,

Mike E.